Thursday 24 May 2012

So much for the European Working Time Directive...


I'm now back at work, albeit without any on-call duties. My main worry about going back was how my friends and colleagues would respond to my absence. Fortunately that hasn't been too bad. My own team are quite understanding and don't ask too many questions. When other people have asked where I've been I've just said I've been unwell and they haven't probed any further. I can't say I'm quite back to my normal social self. I used to enjoy having lunch and chatting to my friends in the doctors' mess. Now it feels noisy to me. I want to escape to the hospital chapel instead.

The thing I am struggling with most is tiredness. Although Occupational Health stipulated that I am not to do any out-of-hours work, the reality is that in medicine or surgery there are no fixed hours. I am supposed to work 8-5pm (which trust me, after a month doing nothing is exhausting enough), but on Monday we finished at 6pm, Tuesday at 6.30pm and yesterday I wasn't done until 7.15pm. That's 4 hours and 45 minutes I've already worked for free this week. I used to joke that I was a full-time doctor, part-time NHS volunteer. I would guess that the extra hours I have worked this year amount to days. So much for the European Working Time Directive!

The long and short of it is that yesterday afternoon I became quite distressed again mentally. I had worked largely on my own in the morning and hadn't had much in terms of a lunch break. My mind drifted to suicidal ideation, as it frequently does when I am unwell and under pressure. I could hear voices telling each other I had jumped under a train. I saw vivid images of myself jumping under a train. I had a strange sensation of being knocked over by a train. Obviously I didn't fall, but the sensation of being hit was there. I rested against the wall, took a few deep breaths and got on with the day with my friends. When I got home I cried. I cried before dinner. After dinner I cried for an hour before bed. I woke up twice in the night, crying. The bedroom is now littered with the toilet paper I was using to mop up my tears.

I loathed myself for doing so, but I decided to text one of my colleagues and say that I wouldn't be in until mid-morning today, rather than 8am. I needed a few hours rest in the morning to collect my thoughts and do some writing. I figured this is the only way I can continue to work – by admitting that I am still unwell and taking small breaks here and there.

That is such a hard admission. I feel weak and pathetic – pathetic because I can see everyone around me “coping” with the hard work and hours, able to come back to work early in the morning after a tough day. But to my knowledge they are not plagued by suicidal thoughts, persistent crying, sleep disturbance or crashing mood swings. Yes I am at work, yes I am now able to work. But my illness is still very much present, and I'll just have to keep judging my ability to function on a daily basis.

On a more positive note, I'm planning to try a new carrot cake recipe on Saturday. Just a day and a half to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment